Thursday, October 8, 2009

and a bottle of wine...

I thought writing a blog would be easy because you just have to write about whatever you want.  You could use it as you're own personal complaining wall.  Then I thought it would be hard because you could easily become a one thought horse and all your blogs be about the same thing or go completely off the deep end and be about nothing but stuck in your own personal mind, where everything is of the utmost importance and develop extreme agoraphobia from life itself.  That may be a little too over the top and I've been watching too many episodes of 30 Rock and Pushing Daisies.  But this blog isn't easy or hard.  I'm not going to get all sentimental on you guys (not that anybody reads this, but in the off chance that you do stumble upon my writings, its not a cheese factory).  I just wanted to share that with you as I've been thinking and trying to avoid work, the usual stuff.  Anyway...
 
Ok so I have some things to say.  First I just found out, and by that I mean I was listening to NPR podcasts online about a week ago, that PBS cut funding for several of their top children's shows.  One of them being Reading Rainbow!  That's right, "Take a look, it's in a book..."  will no longer be the top sung phrase by pre-tweens around the continental US.  I guess we'll never know who can fly twice as high or how to use the Dewey Decimal System or how they make gum.  It may sound sarcastic but I am truly very outraged at this thought as I know the program will be filled by some furry fluffball.  I mean no disrespect, I love those fluffballs, they've taught me many valuable lessons.  But what about the shows that bridge the gap from introductory learning to Hannah Montana?  We something that progresses from how to learn to what to learn.  Whatever.  Needless to say, I am sadden by the loss of Reading Rainbow and wanted to share it with you.



My second thing is I wanted to say.  I saw another show in its second season, which is now off the air but it struck me as an artist, teacher, writer and greatest-cognitive-image-producer (daydreamer).  I would love to write him a letter.  Its pure poetry.  That’s all  it is.  He’s created this world that’s, yes heightened to say the least, but vaguely hinged upon the imaginative daydreams of our wordly existence.  Why couldn’t a person’s death be comical but not overlooked?  Why couldn’t language be played with to the point of lyric prose.  He made the characters desirable, believable and distant.  We cared about the individual stories.  Believable because the situations are as the common person talks.  And distant because the world they lived in was not our own but the one of our choosing.  We were allowed into their world for an hour at a time.  It’s more than some snarky tv series or quirky tween drama.  It required an audience.  It required and demanded an audience.  Thanks B.F.



"The only man Hook ever feared"

1 comment:

Happy Spider said...

Public broadcasting relies on membership monies and donations. Like community theater. With the current economic hardships, I guess people don't feel their money should go to PBS shows. I know that when the membership drives start, I always feel guilty that I don't sign up. Plus I'm always trying to pick the show that I'd want to support the most. Very difficult stuff. :-(