Monday, December 20, 2010

Challenge Me.

It's beginning to look a lot Christmas, soon the bells will start...but where's the snow.  I spent the latter part of my life on the east coast and became accustomed to four, maybe three, seasons of weather and at least 3 inches of snow by Christmas.  I remember waking up on winter mornings and looking out my front door at the ashy streets and seeing a white blanket covering the sidewalks and remnants of plant life.

The trees were bare with icicle stockings 
and the world so quiet you can't even hear a mouse. 
Cars drive by with impeccable care 
and stop to greet one another and stare--
at the wonder of a winter land so proudly displayed 
on his and her house without dismay.  
The chimney's were smoking along each street 
and our snow shoes were 12 inches deep, 
in snow and in ash from our adventures outside. 
a white Christmas in Texas--no truth but a lie
This Christmas will be different and something to remember
But I cherish those winters and snow falls most tender.  
A Christmas in Texas, well I do declare
And raise my hat to welcome at last. 
Merry Christmas to all 
Merry Christmas y'all.  

 So I'm not Dr. Suess or Shel Silverstein, but for coming up with a poem on the spot about a subject that I'm not really feeling that festive about...I think I did a somewhat decent job.  No, this year I am not feeling the tinsel joy or the need for joining a chorus of elves.  I think I actually sympathize with the incredulous Mr. Grinch.  Perhaps my shoes are too tight or my head not screwed on just right, but its hard to sing out the merriment of whoville without who-blasters and my roast beast sandwich on rye.  And no this isn't gonna turn into a sentimental blog about the true meaning of Christmas is without gifts and good food but the memories of last year and good ones to come and friends and family all near you--gathered around a warm fire with chestnuts and mistletoe.  I'm not gonna lie by saying this year was a blast and I can't wait for another round or even that this year had its hardships.  It's been a constant struggle against what I perceived to be judgments made in and for my better interests.  The most I can ask Santa for is a way out, but since this year is almost over and I can't do anything about it anymore I might as well press on.  Things have to be better in the new year, not every light can be extinguished and squashed.  And if that doesn't work you can always make the best of your situation.  You know, make apples out of lemonade or something like that.  So here's my apple for the new year.  I'm turning this blog into not just me rambling and feeling sorry for myself but rather a challenge to myself.  I'm turning this blog into a writing experiment.  Each week I'll enter a blog in a new story line that I will write.  But in order to make this first happen I need your help.  I need the boundaries and conditions for the story.  For example, the story but take place at a beach front during a hurricane.  You have to talk about the future and use the phrase "on top of spaghetti".  You're genre will be 1940s or something like that and you can only have 5 characters.  You get the idea?  If you choose to help me with this challenge you have until December 31, 2010 to submit your recommendations I start writing in January.  So I'm asking for you to supply three elements that have to be present in the story, time and genre.  You can either leave me a post or click the email button to get suggestions to me.  Thanks alot and I'll see you in January. 



No comments: